Wednesday 4 July 2012

GOING A BIT SQUIRRELLY


Ode to a squirrel 

Why do your tailbones shiver,
your teeth rumble
a bitter staccato
with a rap, rap, tap
on rough bark
with nails sharp, movement
a spiral inversion
swaying with vertigo
to tease this curmudgeon
of an old dog?

Sing a song of squirrel
and with a jolt
the canine brain jerks loose,
unmoored and shaken
free out the left ear
to roll away and land worthlessly
in a stack of cast-off seed cones
already stripped of their
proteinaceous worth.


Rachel Westfall
July 3, 2012
AT 7/03/2012
LABELS: ANIMALS, POEM, SILLINESS



To which Bear replied:


About that squirrel 

"Enough, already, squirrel,"
says the ancient chien.
“Your incessant noise
reverberates 
in the caverns of my mind,
disturbing old dreams,
and new thoughts.
Your scratchy dancing 
on tree and branch
forces my eyes
to squint, and cross, 
and spin in their sockets.

I register my complaint,
but you ignore me.

Twas ever thus.”
Tuesday, 3 July, 2012

Thanks to Rachel for letting me use her poem!


~ Bear ~

No comments:

Post a Comment